FEEST supports the leadership of low income youth and youth of color to transform the culture and policies that affect their health in school. Each year, FEEST welcomes a cohort of youth leaders from Chief Sealth, Evergreen, Rainier Beach, and Tyee High Schools to deepen their knowledge of social justice, build community, and grow stronger together as organizers.
Youth are in the lead at FEEST because we know that change is not effective unless those most impacted by health inequities are the decision makers. Youth lead FEEST’s community dinners, design and run campaigns at their schools, and are involved at all levels of decision making — from hiring staff or vetting major organizational decisions, to joining the Board of Directors as alumni.
FEEST seeks to build youth power by elevating young people as respected and trusted leaders in their communities and challenge the adultism they face every day. As school and district administrators increasingly understand the value of youth in policy making, young people are in a better position to put forward their own demands and work toward their own solutions.
Want to support FEEST youth leaders? Learn how you can join the Big Table by making a monthly gift.
The FEEST Youth Leader Experience
- Share our joys, experiences, and delicious food
- Assess community needs through direct outreach
- Share our successes to inspire others
- Flex our cooking skills and experiment in the kitchen
- Learn about community organizing
- Practice facilitation, public speaking, and peer outreach
Learning our Landscape
- Learn about systemic oppression and food access
- Get inspired by other youth-led movements
- Identify power structures in our school systems
Building Youth Power
- Create our demands and strategies to improve school food
- Negotiate our demands directly with decision makers
- Win concrete changes in school food policy
Want to support FEEST youth leaders?
Join the Big Table and support youth leaders in their work all year round.
Show FEEST some love!
Youth are in the lead at FEEST because we know that change is not effective unless those most impacted by health inequities are the decision makers. Support youth leadership by donating today, OR sign up for our newsletter to get the latest from FEEST!